Every day, 90 mobile phones are left on London’s Tubes.
Now imagine your employee has confidential corporate data stored on their phone (for example emails, spreadsheets, contacts) and it goes missing. Straight away, you’ve got a data breach to deal with and there’s the possibility important business content could get in to the wrong hands.
From May 25th, you’ve got to report every phone lost, if there is data you cannot secure, to the Information Commissioners Office as a data breach. For more information about how to report a data breach, please click here.
So how can you ensure your business data remains secure whilst maximising your employee’s productivity?
Mobile Device Management (MDM)
It’s now extremely common to use personal devices for work, or to use company mobiles. Providing more flexibility, employees can use their devices to work remotely. This brings a new set of security and privacy challenges to the forefront of the modern workplace.
This is where the implementation of MDM software can have huge benefits for your organisation. Mobile Device Management allows you to manage and monitor your employees mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets.
Installing Sophos Mobile for your organisation enables all business content on employee’s devices to be controlled and secured under one system. Track and manage any business data remotely – whether it’s a personal or company device.
Sophos Mobile comes with two simple apps, Sophos Secure Email and Sophos Secure Workspace. These allow users to contain certain content e.g. to separate emails, contacts and corporate web browsing from personal data on the device.
What are the risks of having your business devices without MDM?
- If an employee loses their device or has it stolen, any business information stored on it will not be secure. It could end up in the wrong hands.
- Personal devices will be exposed to malware and viruses. This leaves confidential data vulnerable.
- It’s an automatic data breach as soon as confidential data is exposed. This can come at a great cost to your company’s reputation with customers and partners.
What are the benefits of MDM?
- It’s easy to manage and maintain control over the delivery and management of emails, contacts and other data to any employee’s device.
- You can remove any confidential data from a lost or stolen device to avoid a data breach and protect your organisation’s reputation.
- MDM adds an additional level of security to protect data as part of GDPR compliance.
- Users can work remotely without worrying about intrusion.
- It’s affordable and great value. For example, Sophos Mobile is licensed per user. There’s no need to pay for devices you’re not using.
- Use compliance checks to restrict access to any sensitive business data stored on mobile devices.
- Reduce the amount of time your employees spend calling your IT support. Sophos Mobile comes with a self-service portal. So your employees can solve their own problems.
- It doesn’t compromise your device’s battery life or performance. The Sophos Mobile Security app provides anti-virus and ransomware protection whist monitoring the health of your device.
- Unless you want to report every lost mobile device (phone, tablet or laptop) to the ICO, think about your options.
Systems IT can help you improve your IT security and secure your employees’ mobile devices with Mobile Device Management. If you need IT support in these areas, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.